housing cichlids

Q&A about cichlids in community tanks

Moderator: Pam Chin

drd62

housing cichlids

Post by drd62 »

Hi Pam,

I have 4 tanks running right now and I had a question concerning my 180 gal tank. I have 1 wild oscar (6") , 1 Tiger Albino & 2 sunshine oscars ( 3") I wanted to house with 3 Wild caught Red Head Severums.I have 4 different Syno. catfish & 5 different species of plecos also with plenty of rock, and bogwood in the tank. Would this make a suitable tank mate situation with all of them together? I realize that Oscars do get large but so do Severums. As far as filtration is concerned I am using 2 FX-5 filters and 1 Cascade 1500 with a spray bar and an 18w turbo twist UV sterilizer. I also am using a whisper 100 air pump. I am doing approx. 40-50% water changes once a week.

Secondly, I have a 6" EBLD that has a mild temperament & was curious if he would would ok with my 4 Amp. Uarus and 1 Uaru Fernendezyepezi I have housed in my 150gal tank. My Dempsey is beautiful and I would like him to stay that way. :)
Any tips you could give me, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Darren
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: housing cichlids

Post by Pam Chin »

DRD62!

The Oscar Severum mix should be fine, as long as the severums are equal or larger in size to the Oscars. You tank is certainly large enough and there should be plenty of room for all. The second tank I am not quite sure I would add anything with Uaru as they can be quite timid, and I have not kept EBJD so I am not sure if they are less aggressive then the regular Jack Dempsey. (Keep in mind that Dempseys are Central American which have different water requirements.) However you know your fish, and if you think it might work, you can always try. On both of your tanks, whenever you add new fish together it is important to keep a close eye on everyone for a few days and make sure they are comfortable and getting food.

Your tanks sound wonderful! I bet you get quite a bit of enjoyment from your cichlids!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com