Stocking Advice.

Q&A about cichlids in community tanks

Moderator: Pam Chin

LowIsuzu

Stocking Advice.

Post by LowIsuzu »

Hi Pam

I am starting to set up my new 5x2x2 tank, approx 140gallon.
i have always loved the striking colours of the electric yellow and blue's, and was considering getting several of each.
i also spotted the Astatotilapia brownae and Burtoni which have a great look too.
would these fish be appropriate to keep with each other? what sort of numbers could i keep?
could i keep a small school of albino corydoras in the tank with them all?
would the fish eat 1inch sized shrimp, as they could be interesting to keep aswell?

this will be the first time i will have kept any fish bigger then Neon and Serpae Tetra, so your advice is much appreciated.

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Stocking Advice.

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Low,

Nice, a 140 gallon tank will give you plenty of options. It sounds like you are leaning towards the cichlids from Lake Malawi.

Yellow labs - Labidochromis caeruleus are great fish to keep, you can't beat the color and they mind their own business. They would go great with some kind of blue hap type: Scieanochromis, Protomeals, Copadichromis, Placidochromis. These are genus' and there are many different species so take a look and see what catches your eye. You could also do some A. burtoni, they are nice looking and don't get too large.

Keep in mind that the fish from Lake Malawi are group fish, your tank is going to look better if you do these fish in groups of 6 or more. Then you have a school, and lots of interaction. You will have room for 6 - 8 groups of species.

Cory's are not going to work in this type of set up. They are from South America and they like their water warmer, and softer, then the cichlids from Lake Malawi. If you want some catfish for your tank consider the group Synodontis, S. multipuntatus is one that everyone enjoys, they are neat looking.

You can spoil your fish with 1" shrimp, they will love it, but just like us a variety of foods is always best. There are many prepared foods that will work for your malawi cichlids also. It will depend on what you pick, as to what you will want to feed, some of the fish are vegetarians while others are meat eaters.

If you have more questions, just start a new thread!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com