240 Gallon South/Central Tank

Q&A about cichlids in community tanks

Moderator: Pam Chin

mcoh1030

240 Gallon South/Central Tank

Post by mcoh1030 »

Hi Pam,

Here is what I'm planning. A single specimen tank of the standard 240 gallon size, (8 feet long, 2 feet wide):

1 Festae
1 Carpintis
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Salvini
1 Convict

Now based upon the tank size and the planned occupation, do you have any thoughts on fish that could/should be added or deleted? The type of scavengers that should be used? Filtration type and GPH? And any additional information you can share would be a help.

Thanks,
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: 240 Gallon South/Central Tank

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi mcoh,

Fishkeeping is a personal thing, you will have room for a few more things. There are so many possibilities it is impossible for me to suggest!

The method of filtration is up to you, again there are many options. I always say use what you are most comfortable with, you are the one who is going to have to clean it and deal with it. Just make sure you have plenty, you want to turn your water over at least 6 - 8 times per hour. People like to use to multiple filters on larger tanks, it is good way to go, especially if one quits on you.

I think it is best if you buy juveniles and let them grow up together, these types of tanks do much better, then trying to put adults together who are already set in their ways.

I am not a big fan of scavengers, if you like a catfish great, but don't buy one because you think it is going to keep your tank clean. You are still going to have to change your water and clean your filters. If food is hitting the bottom of the tank when you feed, then you are feeding too much.

Sounds like a fun tank in the making!
Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com