adding cichlids to established aquarium

Q&A about cichlids in community tanks

Moderator: Pam Chin

mland

adding cichlids to established aquarium

Post by mland »

I have 2 Green Texas Cichlids and a plecostomus. I had a tiger oscar but it died. I want to add more fish to the 55 gal aquarium. I would like something less agressive than the oscar and easy to care for. I would like something that doesn't hide in rocks but swims around more so you can view them. Also the cichlids I have are 4 to 5 inches long, can you put small fish that are compatible with these fish without them eating them. Can you give me some suggestions on what fish to add to my aquarium and how large do they need to be?
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi mland,

Your tank is pretty full now with two 4" fish, that are going to get larger, plus a pleco. So at this time, I can't really suggest that you get anymore fish. Your fish should come out and not hide in the rocks. Usually if they have been in their tank awhile and they aren't swimming out to see you when you walk up, then they aren't happy. You might want to look at your tank a little closer and make sure everything is okay. Water conditions, pH, temperataure, proper foods, etc.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com