tank mate suggestions

Q&A about cichlids in community tanks

Moderator: Pam Chin

bmorejoe

tank mate suggestions

Post by bmorejoe »

I'm restocking my 125 gal after a 4 year battle with mbuna. I mixed with peacocks and it didn't work well. I now have a fairly empty tank and am looking for stocking recomendations. 
I now have: 
2 frontosa
1 Benga
1 lemon Jake
1 borleyi red fin 
1 Copadichromis favesent
1 sp flame back
1 red shoulder
Tomorrow I am picking up
1 lwanda
1 deep water hap
1 royal blue
1 orange Malawi
1 strawberry albino peacock
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: tank mate suggestions

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Bmorejoe!

It appears to me that you are trying to go for color in your tank, so going with an all male tank is one way to accomplish this. Your tank size is perfect and gives you lots of options. I think you are on the right track, and utilizing Hap types and peacocks is the way to go. If you don't have any females the is nothing to fight over. Just one female can wreak havoc in your tank, so be sure that you stick with all males. Peacocks are more timid, and so they do not do as well with some of the Haps, try to do the jake types(Lemon Jake, Lwanda, jacobfreibergi etc.) if you can, they can hold their own a little better. Stay away from designer peaocks, like the strawberry, Dragon blood, OB, etc. these have often had mbuna crossed into them for color and have become down right mean.

There are other ways to go for colorful big tanks. The cichlids from Malawi are really group fish, and like to be in groups. You could do like 4 - 8, depending on what you pick, and then you get like 12 of each, and you can get nice schooling in your tanks. Since you would have a lot more fish, the aggression is less since it is difficult for one fish to get singled out.

Sometimes the hardest part about doing a tank is what cichlids to keep!!! I always say you should get what you want to look at, providing their are compatiable!

Sounds like a nice tank in the making!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com