Need Cichlid Community Advice

Q&A about cichlids in community tanks

Moderator: Pam Chin

flippy

Need Cichlid Community Advice

Post by flippy »

Hello-

I have had my 20 gallon for some time now, and i'm planning on upgrading to a large, 90 - 120 gallon community set-up. I currently have a single jewel cichlid, and a blue lobster (crayfish). I want input from experts, but I have recieved different advice from enthusiasts.
I love the following varieties and would like to know the compatibility issues: Salvin's Cichlid (1), Jewel Cichlid (2-3), Discus - specifically Symphysodon aequifasciatus aequifasciatus (1), Blue Jack Dempsey (2), Kribensis (3), Clown Loach (3), Blue Lobster (1), and Black-Tailed Shark (1). Keep in mind this community is a project - additional info on plant, rock, gravel, filtration, lighting, and any other info would be dearly appreciated. - Thank You!!
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hey flippy,

Sounds like a fun project, and I think it is great that you are doing some research first. There are nearly 3000 different cichlids, and so it can be quite the task. I suggest that your search in the areas where you like the fish the best. Then you do a tank with other cichlids from the same area. When you start mixing areas, like West Africans (jewel cichlids) with South America (discus) you are just asking for a disaster. The water parameters and the food requirements are just too different.

This is called a biotope tank, and you try to mimic what these fish would have in the wild, as far as decorations, and tankmates. I am better at telling you why your choicess will or not work, rather than telling you what you should keep. Fishkeeping is a personal thing, and after all you are the one who will be looking at them. There is a lot of information out there and you will have to sort through it all and figure out what is going to work best for your situation.

So start looking for fish that you would like to keep and then find out a bit more about them, and soon it will fall into place.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com