recommendations

Q&A about cichlids in community tanks

Moderator: Pam Chin

capncalyx

recommendations

Post by capncalyx »

Hi Pam, just bought the first fish after cycling the tank. I want to start a S. Amer. tank but i bought two gourami and a rainbow shark just to get started along with a Blue Acara and a Green Severum (these are pretty cool cichlids!) In the last week i can see a pretty good change in color and behavior in a positive way. So what other cichlids could i add in the future that would get along with the other two (eventually this will be an all cichlid tank)? I plan on getting at least another Severum and Acara but would also like to get a Firemouth and some Rams. I really dont want anything that will get above 6" in length because i only have a 55gal. Also i need a Pleco soon but i want one that wont get to be more than 6" also but i have a hard time finding these. Usually most places only sell the Pleco's that get 2 foot long eventually. One last thing - i know this is a cichlid forum but id like to get some fiddler crabs but ive heard that they need a way to get out of the water. Is this true? Thanks for your thoughts.

ANdrew
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Andrew,

Sounds like a nice tank in the making. However, (2) sevrums and (2) acara are pretty much going to fill that tank up. I think Rams are going to be too small, and Firemouths are going to be too aggressive, they are acatually from Central America. I would suggest looking at some of the Geophagus types. There are some nice ones out there and several that don't get to big. And the biggest plus about them is the are really gentle, non agreessive and yet can hold there own. They do best in a group so you would want to do about 3 if you go for bigger ones, or if you get smaller ones you could probably do about 5.

Geophagus steindachneri
Satanoperca jurupari
Gymnogeophagus balzanii
Gymnogeophagus meridionalis
Acarichthys hecklii

Google those!!!!

I am far from a catfish/pleco expert, but for your size of tank, you might want to try some of the Corydoras, instead of pleco's and I haven't a clue on the crabs.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com