can these be kept together??

Q&A about cichlids in community tanks

Moderator: Pam Chin

porsche

can these be kept together??

Post by porsche »

mel auratus, yellow labs, red x reds, and blue socofoli. Can these fish be kept together in a 180 tank with 30ish fish in total. Will i be able to keep them alive as in not having one species kill another, and will i be able to meet their dietary needs and other needs?

thanks
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Porsche,

Yes I think that is possible, and you probably have some room for a few Mellow Haps, like Copadichromis, Protomelas, Placidochromis, Otopharynx. These mbuna will fill your rocks nicley, while the haps will give you some fish in the upper area of your tank, it will give you a more complete look.

The only thing I would worry about is the Melanochromis auratus, are you really sold on that cichlid?? Melanochromis are the most aggressive mbuna, they like the chase as much as the kill!! But your tank is plenty big, and hopefully it won't be a problem. However, there are a lot of other mbuna out there that are not prone to such aggressive behavior. Two of my favorites this week are Cynotilapia and Labeotropheus, google those and see what you think!

Sounds like a great tank in the making!!
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com