Velvet?

Q&A about cichlids in community tanks

Moderator: Pam Chin

adog16

Velvet?

Post by adog16 »

OK i need Help me electriv yellow chiclid may have velvet but it is hard to tell because he is yell i looked at him with a a flash lite and the only thing i noticed was some of his fins were a turques blue color but that looks normal. and i also know they could have velvet when they scratch against rocks witch they are doing but all the fish look normal.
What shouls i do?
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

HI Adog,

The call it velvet because it looks like velvet, so if you can't see anything, you don't have velvet. Your fish scratching on the rocks could be some ick, but it you can't see it, it isn't enough to worry about. You can always do a water change, that is the best thing to do if you suspect things aren't right. I hate to give any meds unless I know exactly what it is, since dosing with the wrong medecine and be worse than not treating at all.
Ick is often present in our tanks, but if your fish are healthy enough to keep it in check, you should be fine. It is when you can see it effecting your fish that you need to worry. A little scratching on the substrate is totally normal.

Deep breath!
Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com