why are my ciclids hiding

Q&A about cichlids in community tanks

Moderator: Pam Chin

bigant211

why are my ciclids hiding

Post by bigant211 »

yes my ciclids swim away ahnd hide when ever anyone gets near the tank why is that and how can i fix it they didnt use to do that
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Big,

I am not sure what cichlids you have, but generally speaking, when you the owner walk up to your tank, they should come out and beg. If someone they don't know walks up, they may dart and hide, but if you hold still they usually come right back out. If your fish aren't doing this, then I think something is not right, your fish are not happy. Especially when you lead me to believe they not been like this all the time.

Do a review of your setup, check the basics, like your pH your temp. Have your fish grown? Is your filter still adequate? Do you have the right tank mates?? Are they getting the right foods? Is there anything around the tank that might be interfering? You are just going to have to play detective and try to figure out the cause.

The first think I do when I suspect anything is a water change, and thorough filter cleaning, sand vacuuming, etc. Start increasing the amount of water you take out each time, they love fresh water.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com