How much water flow??

Q&A about aquarium maintenance

Moderator: Pam Chin

smktr8

How much water flow??

Post by smktr8 »

I had a power head in to make the air and give the fish some movment in the water. I have a Penguin bio filter up top. the power head I had in was a maxi-jet 900. Do you think it is to fast for the fish? It is in a 36 gal bow front tank. With out the power head I would have to put in a air stone right?

Thnaks
Chris
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Chris,

Generally speaking if you any kind of a filter, you really shouldn't need to add an airstone. The Powerhead breaks the surface of the water and that oxygenates the water. A hang on the back filter does the same, when the water returns to the tank. The key is you want to have movement on the surface of your tank so the water can take in the oxygen.

Whether the movement is too much for your fish is really a judgement call. As long as they are not pushed into the side of the glass and can't move, you don't have too much water movement! However some fish like less while others do better with more. When you observe your fish, are they struggling in the water? Are they laboring to move around? If not, then you are probably fine.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com