Setting Up A Tank Again

Q&A about aquarium maintenance

Moderator: Pam Chin

dko323

Setting Up A Tank Again

Post by dko323 »

Hi Pam, I am new to the forum and wish I was aware of it earlier. I just lost my last 3 Lake Malawi Cichlids after about 18 months of seeing them grow. I'm not sure what disease infected the tank but it was quick.

I have a 47 gal "high" tank with a 404 Fluval filter. Anyway, I am about to give it another go and was hoping you could provide suggestions on:

Rocks & Gravel: I used several river rocks of various sizes which made it look good and natural but noticed that the tank always seemed to be dirty, dirt trapped under and between the rocks. I was questioning whether my filter is sufficient or should I go with traditional gravel or some sore of cichlid gravel that I have seen sold?

Do you have suggestions on species that I can keep together, preferably ones with a lot of color or uniqueness to them and suggest how many for a 47 gallon tank?

What are your thoughts on online breeders and can you suggest any good ones?

Anything else you suggest I do for the tank to prepare it for my next go around would be appreciated! Thanks.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi dko,

Well there are lots of variables, and most are going to depend on what fish you want to keep. I can't tell you what it should be, you have to decide since you are the one who is going to be looking at them. I think it is best to surf the internet, look at cichlids, and come up with 1 or 2 that you want to keep. Then you build your tank around your target first.

You have a couple of issues with your tank, since it is tall, it is going to be harder to get the guck off the bottom of the tank, so you are going to have to address that. Your filtration should keep your tank clean and clear between water changes. You want to turn your water over 6 - 8 times per hour, so see what your filter does, and because of your tall tank, you are going to probably want it on the 8 side.

The other issue is the size, it is really marginal for keeping Malawi cichlids, which you were keeping, just too small, and with lots of rocks, there is not as much water, these fish, generally need way more then a 55 gal tank. I am not saying you can't keep Malawi fish, but you definitely need to look at what you are going to reasonably keep in that size tank, which is probably under 6 fish when full grown.

Do research on the fish you are interested in and find out what their diet is, so you can feed them the right foods, and make sure that the other fish you choose have a similar diet.

If you pick the right cichlids, and keep up on your maintenance rountine with water changes and the right foods, you should do fine!!

Let me know what your picks are and we can talk about them, why they are good or not good !!!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com