Pic of large aquarium

Q&A about aquarium maintenance

Moderator: Pam Chin

mariusmeyer

Pic of large aquarium

Post by mariusmeyer »

Hi.

Hi Pam.

I just got my new 125 Gallon tank and need your input on the stand. The tank measurements are 60" long, 24" wide and 28" high. The tank is made of 10mm glass with a single bottom.

I spoke to various people who give me contradicting answers. Its about what to put underneath the tank between it and the stand. I thought that if I put a solid piece of wood underneath it with polystyrene on top that it should work better than just the polystyrene (since the weight is now spread across the wood). One shop says it is not correct since it is a hard surface on top of another and the other says the tank with the heaters will sweat that will cause the wood to get wet and give way.

Currently the stand only has polystyrene on the edges of it so that the tank does not come into contact with the metal. Should the polystyrene cover the whole base of the tank or not, and is it a good (or bad) idea to put wood on the stand?

Thanx for your advice.
Marius

Here is a pic of my 150 gallon tank. Its not 125 as mentioned in my previous post. Sorry for the mess in the lounge :D
Malawi Addict!
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Pic of large aquarium

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Marius!

Nice tank!!! I am not an expert, or structural engineer. But I have had a lot of big tanks over the years. I have had a variety of stands. I have had tanks just sitting on a stand as in your picture. I have put wood underneath them before with no issues of sweating. Many aquarium stands just have a frame that the tanks sit on, they do not have wood completely under the tank. I think it is going to boil down to what you are going to be most comfortable with, and if it is the wood, go for it!!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com