Tank problems

Q&A about aquarium maintenance

Moderator: Pam Chin

bonnell123

Tank problems

Post by bonnell123 »

Ok I could use some experienced help. I have a 100 gal tank with twin 100 gal canister filters. I experience rapid evaporation and end up adding water approx every 3 days. Even with this water addendum I kept having a hydrogen sulfide (H2S) issues. Due to fish death, I took the tank completely down and re-started. I took off the pumps attached them to a 25 gal bucket to keep my bacteria alive.

I removed everything from the tank, throughly cleaned the gravel in very hot water. I then re-filled the tank, added minimal rocks and used the proper amount of API's Ammo lock and API Stress coat water conditioner. I did this in the morning. By 6pm all my fish were hitting back at the top of the tank "gasping" so to speak.

So I broke out my test kit and here are my results in PPM (mg/L); Low PH 7.6, High range PH 7.4, Ammonia 4.0 (Ammo lock says you will still test positive for Ammonia when using their product), nitrite 0.25 and Nitrate 0.0 (new tank not set up).

I did add bacteria and aquarium salt, and my pumps were only shut off for 5-10 mins during the transfer to bucket process.

I did a 25% water change yesterday. Good for a couple of hours, then all the fish back to the top. I have 10 of the zebra Cichlids and 2 flowerhorns; that I would really like to save. Any ideas of something I can do for them? Nothing appears to be working.... IS the water too hard? Or the alkiline level too high?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Lindsey Bonnell
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Tank problems

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Lindsay,

I am sorry but I don't understand all of your issues, like hydrogen sulfide issues?? And the reason for all the evaporation in your tank?? It is possible that you lost the majority of your beneficial bacteria when you tore down this tank. You definitely lost any that you had in your gravel if you rinsed it with hot water. Lack of proper oxygen could have effected your bucket, it is just hard to say. I really can't explain what happened in your case, but it sounds like your tank has lost its cycle. The only thing I can suggest is to keep up the water changes, and hope that it turns around.

Wish I could be of more help.
Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com