Filters

Q&A about aquarium maintenance

Moderator: Pam Chin

photographer

Filters

Post by photographer »

I currently have a 55 gallon tank and I am looking for a filtering system. I have been looking online and it sounds like it pretty much comes down to personal preference. I eventually decided on Eheim Pro II canister filter 2028. I found one for 219.99 at a pet store. Then the guys at the store were saying the Fluval filter system was better and easier to set up. The fluval was also for a 159 gallon tank but it was a higher price. A lot of things online say that Eheim is a better system. Now I am confused...Is there anything you can tell me before I make a definite decision?
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Filters

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi photographer,

Well I don't think anyone can beat an Eheim, they are like the cadillac of cannister filters, and I think you will be happy with that. Fluval would be second behind Eheim. It really just depends on your budget, and then sound should also be factor, and Eheim is very quiet.

So... I am voting on the eheim! It really is personal preferance, the most important thing to consider is that you have a big enough filter to handle your tank size. You want to change the water over 6 - 8 times per hour. The other thing to consider is cleaning, which one is going to be easier for you to tank to the sink and clean. If it is a pain to clean, then you aren't going to clean it!!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com