creatures from ???

Q&A about aquarium maintenance

Moderator: Pam Chin

janiel

creatures from ???

Post by janiel »

Hi Pam, :)

Thanks for the help on planning my stocking. I'm still having fun reading fish profiles and getting things ready. You definitely helped with the "cichlid-mania" I was getting doing research(!)... so much easier now with some direction to my madness! lol! :)

Anyway, I have some new, unidentified hitchhikers. :( I guess I really should do a copper or potassium permanganate dip with my plants before dropping them into the tank.

Over a day or two, all the walls have been covered with small, translucent blobs. They are not hydra, and are not snail egg-bunches. Unfortunately, I have not been able to capture them with the camera. They are rounded and cup like in shape, or like a tulip flower with shredded petal ends, attached to the wall where the stem would be. They wave about in the current. They are about .5 mm to almost 2 mm in diameter. The fish are all acting normally and don't seem interested in them.

What are they??? I've been scouring the web, and still the best I can come up with is that they might be cnidarian, or bryozoan??? I'm going to do a large water change and scrub them off. Should I do an anti-fluke treatment or copper to clean up the tank or is that overkill? (no pun intended)

Thanks for any ideas!
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: creatures from ???

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Janiel,

Yikes, I am not sure what that is? But stirring up the tank and doing a good water change would be my first choice. I hate to add any chemicals to a tank that is doing good.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com