Fish Room Racks

Q&A about aquarium maintenance

Moderator: Pam Chin

unblinded

Fish Room Racks

Post by unblinded »

Pam,

I'm curious to know a little more about your fish room. Specifically the racks that you have. I really like the setup-it's very clean and appealing to the eye. I'm curious to know the largest tank you have that is supported by these racks. Also, who makes the racks? Are they special made or is there a company that produces them. I apologize if you have already answered this question somewhere, it's been a long time since I've seen what they look like & would like to know if I can have something similar in my upcoming fish room.

Thanks,
Jason
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Fish Room Racks

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Jason,

The stands are made with unistrut, you can google that as it is a brand name. Its an extruded metal that has been hot dipped galvanized and it is used by mechanical contractors to hang pipe or ductwork. Its like tube steel but one side is open so you can hang stuff off of it like pipe hangers etc. The beauty of this type of stand for me is that it is assembled with nuts and bolts, you don't need a welder. I had a seismic engineer help me design the stand based on my heaviest tanks, and then I modified it for smaller tanks. It is only a 12 ga material, most of my spans are 48". If you want to go longer you just have to more legs in your base. I have probably had 3 or 4 sets of wooden stands, and when it was time to remodel I just couldn't go back to wood.

I work for a mechanical contractor and so I had a connection for good pricing on this product. Metal is high right now, and so its going to cost a more then wooden stands, but they will never wear out. The extra cost was worth it to me, and I agree that it is a clean look and not as bulky as wood, you can have wider aisles! I have had some of these for more then 8 years now and they still look good. The largest tank I have on this type of stand is a 8' 200-gallon tank.

In the link below you can see some of the stand construction.

http://gallery.me.com/pamchin#100044/DS ... olor=black

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com