filters

Q&A about aquarium maintenance

Moderator: Pam Chin

Glen

filters

Post by Glen »

Hey Pam,

I started a topic a few days ago about filtration. One of teh things you suggested is to check the canister I had and see if it works. It was a Fluval 400 series and unfortunately, it didn't even power up so it is in the trash. The other thing i was wondering, if I go with a top mounted filter, a power filter, what brand do you suggest? I have had Aqueon and thought it was ok, but it quit on me... Now I am using a Marineland Penguin on a smaller tank, but i want the best as I cannot afford to buy a canister yet. Kensfish is an awesome site by the way, so I will be purchasing the filter from him... Thanks for turning me in that direction. My thought was the Aqueon 55/75, and then running my Penguin 150 with it for now, on a 75 gallon glass. But again, if there is a better brand name in these, I am game for that. I have read what have said on almost every post about filtration, so I know that what I am most comfortable with is one of the keys, but about any power filter I think is comfortable enough until I can afford the Ehiem canister that I want. Also, you said a power head with a foam filter on it would be good and cheap, I think I will add one of those to for additional flow, but how do they work. I looked at pictures of them and was kind of lost with how they work.

Thanks for all of your help, you are seriously one of my heroes right now.
Glen
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: filters

Post by Pam Chin »

Glen,

Sounds like you are dialing in on the filtration just fine! There is a lot of info out there, and you have to apply it to your situation too, there is more then one way to do things, you just want to make sure you are providing enough, and it will be fine!

The powerhead fits on top of the sponge filter, the powerhead is like a pump, it pulls the water thru the sponge filter and up the tube. The sponge filter provides has an amazing amount of surface area where beneficial bacteria can grow. It is an amazing filter, they just are not pretty to look at. Once your sponge has cycled, you can move it to a new tank or another tank and it will continue to keep working. When you clean your tank, you take out the sponge and squeeze it until the dirt is out, usually in a bucket with water from the tank, and then you put it back together. How often you clean it depends on the bio load in your tank, you know how much you feed your fish, etc.

I am not really up on which poweheads are the best, I think there are several that are good out there, you might check reviews on those. Aqueon is major aquarium supplier, so I am thinking they have good products, but I haven't used any myself.

Thanks for you kind words I do appreciate it!!!

I do want to let you know that I am heading out tomorrow for Manaus Brazil, I will on a boat for 3 weeks going up and down the Rio Negro, looking at all the fish! While I am gone, Lisachromis will be watching board for me. I'll be back at the end of the month and if you have any further questions we can continue on then!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com