Scared Cichlids

Q&A about aquarium maintenance

Moderator: Pam Chin

Steve B

Scared Cichlids

Post by Steve B »

Hi Pam,

I have a 60 gallon tank that includes a baby Managuense, 2 Butticoferis, Red Devil, Green Terror, and 2 African Cichlids. These are all about the same size: 2 to 3 inches long.

My problem is that these fish are very timid, and get scared when anyone approaches the tank. Although I am aware that baby fish are supposed to be scared sometimes, I think my fish are overly-scared for some reason. I ask the fish expert at Petsmart, and he told me it had little to do with the water condition. Instead, he told that it might have something to do with the lighting conditions in the fish room.

Please give me some feedback.

Thank you,
Steve
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Steve,

Cichlids have a tendency to hide out if they are not comfortable. In your case you have cichlids from all over, they all require different water conditions and diets. They don't know how to react to each other, because they are from all different continents.

I don't think it is good to mix fish from different continents or different locations. It is best to try and pick an area, or a favorite cichlid, and then build your tank around them. Your fish will be happier and come out like they should.

You have some fairly aggressive species going there, and more than likely who ever gets the most food, will take over the tank, and eventually beat up and/or even kill off the rest. So, you may want to re-think your picks.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com