Algae Scrubber Issue?! HELP!!!

Q&A about aquarium maintenance

Moderator: Pam Chin

ItBSpyC

Algae Scrubber Issue?! HELP!!!

Post by ItBSpyC »

We just did a routine cleaning of our tank, however my boyfriend used an O-Cello kitchen sponge to scrub off the aglae which was minimal. We replaced the water, added the normal amounts of stress coat and salt, but within minutes the fish started to lay down and have very labored breathing. I checked the packaging of the sponge since that was the only thing different that we used and it said not for aquarium use. I am so scared that we have poisoned them. We have already removed half the water and quickly replaced it again. They are still looking ill and very sad. Is there anything that we can do to help them. I am so upset that this simple thing could hav hurt them. Any ideas? please help!
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi ItBS,

You have done the right thing by changing the water, and you may want to change it again, as fresh water is the only thing that I know of that will dilute the chemicals that have gotten in your water.

With all the fear of mold and bacteria, and with the public convinced that everything they have has to be sanitized, sponge manufacturers are know adding chemicals that inhibit the growth of mold and bacteria. Great for your counter top but deadly for your fish.

If you are not sure whether an item is safe for your aquarium or not, it is better NOT to use it, until you can find out, or find a better way.

Change your water.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com