problem

Q&A about aquarium maintenance

Moderator: Pam Chin

biggenz

problem

Post by biggenz »

hi pam, i have a lil problem with my 35 gallon community tank. this may get a lil long so i apoligize if i ramble a bit. the problem i am having is that in my filter i am getting this white looks almost like spider webs fungus type stuff. and i cant get rid of it. now i have been keeping aquariums for most my life, 14 years to be exact, and never have run into a persistant problem like this. now when this problem first came about, there was a stringy type white substance on the substrate. so it lead me to believe it was a type of fungus. so i went and got some stuff to get rid of the fungus. the stuff i got was called maroxy. it worked well after a week of treatment. the fungus on the substrate was completely gone, and i changed the filter cartrigaes and all seemed well. but i just found out since it was time again to change the filter cartrige, that the fungus, or whatever it is, is back in the filter again. its not a matter of lack of maintenance cuz i maintain a regular water change scheduele of once a weekof about 25%. now the tank is salted to keep the occupants happy, incase you were wondering. the filter is the same type of filter that i have always used on this tank. its a whisper power 60. over the years i had to replace it a few times but it always did the job well. it keeps my tank perfectly clear and always has with little trouble. until this episode. now my question to you is, am i doing something wrong? or is there something else that i can do? cuz i am doing about the same i have always done to all my tanks over the years but i seem to keep getting this problem. like i said i have never had this problem before, and all the occupants are healthy and well. so any advice you might have would be much appreciated. so in advance i thank you for your time in trying to help me here.

thank you much
Kevin
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Kevin,

Well, that is a tough one without really being able to see it. However if your fish are not overcrowded, your tank maintenance is tip top, and your fish are healthy, that doesn't leave much to pick apart. Sometimes you have to do some detective work to figure this out. For example, are you on City Water?? perhaps something has changed with your water source? Are you feeding a different type of food? Is your filter really working properly? I would not treat the tank with out knowing exactly what the problems is, since your fish appear to be fine, medicating the tank will kill off your good bacteria and you may have to recycle your tank. Not to mention, putting your fish meds they don't need. Are you sure it is a fungus and not an algae of some sort?? Sometimes these come up when you feed to much, and the leftover food isn't being eaten. But of course these are all guesses, since I don't know all the parameters of your tank like what fish, how big they are, your water conditions , Temp, pH, tank maintenance habits, etc.

Sorry, wish I could be more help.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com