Salts for water

Q&A about aquarium maintenance

Moderator: Pam Chin

saturnino

Salts for water

Post by saturnino »

I would like to know if there is any home receipt for making salt
water for cicilds of malawi and tanganika.

I was told that we could join the folowing:

- sodium bicabornatius
- calcium magnesium
- sodium
- salt

I wonder if we can join those kind of salts and what is the quantity of this produt we can´t put in the water.

best regards,

Saturnino
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Saturnino,

Everyones water is different so there is no "formula". It also depends on what you are trying to do. Don't confuse salinity salt, with mineral "salts". Are you wanting to add salt (salinity)? Or are you trying to increase your pH?? Increase the hardness?? You can use household products to play with your water, but often if you only have one or two tanks, it is probably just a lot easier to buy a product on the market that you just add when you change your water. Or use a substrate in your tank that increases your pH, or in one of your filter chambers.

Basically you have to play around with it, and find the perfect mix for your water.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Saturnino,

Everyones water is different so there is no "formula". It also depends on what you are trying to do. Don't confuse salinity salt, with mineral "salts". Are you wanting to add salt (salinity)? Or are you trying to increase your pH?? Increase the hardness?? You can use household products to play with your water, but often if you only have one or two tanks, it is probably just a lot easier to buy a product on the market that you just add when you change your water. Or use a substrate in your tank that increases your pH, or in one of your filter chambers.

Basically you have to play around with it, and find the perfect mix for your water.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com