Bolivain Rams with Kribs

Q&A about aquarium maintenance

Moderator: Pam Chin

Charly

Bolivain Rams with Kribs

Post by Charly »

I've had 5 Bolivian Rams for two weeks and yesterday was told that I could introduce 2 Kribensis cichlids to the tank. Are they Pelvicachromis pulcher and if so can I mix South American with African cichlids ? I fear I've bungled bigtime and wonder if I should return them while I can.
I was considering an Angel fish but didn't like any of them, so ended up taking this pair home. So far my two Chinese Algae eaters are more agressive than the Kribs, but.... I'd say this lady is ready to lay eggs as her belly is reddish and swollen. The store had eggs and fry in a few tanks so I thought this was a good sign.

My 30 gallon tank is established, although has only had 5 tetras and a pleco algae eater (who has since died) in it for quite awhile (over a year) as we've been wanting to switch over to cichlids for some time now. In total my tank has:
5 rams
5 tetras purchased in 2003
2 chinese algae eaters

I've grown fond of the rams as they seem to have personalities and will add a few more caves and hiding spots after my water change... which I must get to right away. Is my tank big enough to accomidate an angel fish or two if the Kribs are taken back?
Thanks in advance and thank you for all the info ... sure is lots to learn but your website is very helpful!!!
Charly
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Charly,

I don't like to mix areas of cichlids, like South Americans with West Africans, etc. However, this is not the end of the world by any means. both species are found in like habitats; rivers. Your tank is not overcrowded and personally if I were to have you take anything back to the store it would be Chinese Algae eaters, those guys are brutal!!!!

Provide a cave on one side of your tank that hopefully the kribs will take over and the rams should be happy with the rest of the tank. As long as everyone is getting along, it should be fine. If you see alot of chasing, fish up in the corners of the tank, or cowering in corners, then its not going work....

Hopefully it will!
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com