Help with new tank

Q&A about aquarium maintenance

Moderator: Pam Chin

loftyguy

Help with new tank

Post by loftyguy »

I just set up a 75g tank with a Fluval404. My take is cloudy. I have tested all chemicals, and they are fine, treated the water and cleaned the glass at each water change. I have 2 pleco’s and 4 snails and 12 African Cichlids ranging from 1’’ to 6’’. The substrate is a mix of sand and small gravel(that I washed very well before adding to the tank) and I have lots of rocks for my guys to hide in. I am somewhat new to the hobby and maybe a bit obsessive about it. I am not sure what I have done wrong. This is the second tank I set up and the first was great, crystal clear and happy fish.

There is agley on the rocks, but it is a very nice glowing green. I set up the fluval with the filter mediums it came with, should I be using something else for cichlids? How do I get my water to clear up and what’s with the fish shaking at each other?
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Loftguy,

I would say it is probably because your tank has just not cycled properly. You should be okay with a tank this size, as long as you continue to change the water it should clear up eventually. Another way to jump start it is to clean your filter from your other tank in this tank. It will give the good bacteria a chance to get ahead. And although this may sound a bit messy it really is a fast and easy way to jump start a tank.

Sand can be very hard to rinse, and there may be some residue from it, but usually it should settle. Again, it just may take a few extra water changes to get it all balanced.

Fish shaking at each other are territorial and reproductive gestures, it could be either.

Sounds like a nice tank in the making.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com