mixing trophs

Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

fishfreak2407

mixing trophs

Post by fishfreak2407 »

Now from what Ive see you are not a big fan of mixing trophs. but before I seen your opinion I was led to beleive that mixing is o.k as long as there is no crossbreeding. the reason Im asking is that I am in the middle of gathering a group of dubs(6 so far ) to mix with my 21 ndole reds in a 100 gall............your thoughts??

thnx Fishfreak2407 :D

p.s they are all juveniles 1-1.25"
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Fishfreak,

I do not believe in mixing Tropheus with Tropheus, and I don't like to mix Tropheus with any other cichlids/fish! lol So no I don't think it is a good idea. I think there is a high possibility of crossing, and why would you want to take the risk??

Generally what happens with two group of Tropheus is one group will dominate the other, and the low group rarely breeds. The dominate males are so busy dominating the other group that they are wore out and rarely spawn. This situation is compounded with some Tropheus who are natural enemies, they can't stand each other.

One of the biggest joys that hobbyists get from Tropheus is watching their social structure, and I think the best way to observe it is one group per tank, there is nothing that can top a species only Tropheus tank.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com