how many????

Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

steve0o09

how many????

Post by steve0o09 »

hello

i have just bought 47 F2 tropheus duboisi at about 1.5 inches. within 2 weeks im buying another 15-20 of them. right now they are just in a 55 gallon until they get a little bit bigger. they are then moving to my 125 gallon tank. i have had so many different opinions i dont know what to think. the first i heard, was to only have about 30-35 in a 125 gallon tank (standard 6 footer). thats why i bought 60. i figured half will be males, so ill take all but about 5 out. then i heard that i could EASILY fit 60 in there (all the males included) and if i wanted, i could get way more.

so what do you think i should do....
1. go with my first plan, keep about 30-35 with only 5 males the rest female
or
2. keep all 60 in there
or
3. keep all of them, see what happens. if i see aggresion, take some males out, if not then im good.

thanks a ton
steven
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Steve,

hmmmmm that is a tough one!!! Wow, I bet those look great in that 55!

You know that you could really go either way. There are those that really like to encourage the bonding of the group itself, and that a ratio really doesn't matter on these groups that have grown up together. Then there is the theory that the more you have the less problems you will have, so crowding 60 into a 125 should be the perfect set up, there is no way one fish can get singled out in a group like that. You have to go with your gut, there are many ways to be successful with tropheus. As long as you provide them the proper water conditions, the right foods, lots of water changes, either way should thrive. But keep in mind that 60 fish is going to be a major bioload, as long as you have that covered in the plan, along with plenty of water changes. If it doesn't work you can always thin your group down.

Tropheus Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com