no softball questions here!

Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

karl wagner

no softball questions here!

Post by karl wagner »

Hi Pam!

I've read a lot of your responses and inputs on the various boards and I'm confident that you can answer my troubling questions that keep me from a restful night sleep...jk.

It seems that recently (last couple years or so) there are a lot of tropheus 'linangu' being imported into the states. WHERE IS LINANGU? I've looked on the map of lake tanganyika and it's never posted. This fish looks so similar to the tropheus 'kala island' variant so much so that I wonder if it is the same fish by a different name.

Also, these tropheus duboisis "starry night" as they're called because apparently they hold their spots longer than other variants, where are they collected from?

Lastly, The tropheus bulu point and siyeswe variants are really found in those two locales, but not in between? I wonder if they are part of a common population or are they mutually exclusive, but may have common ancestry or relocation?

Do you ever wonder about things like this Pam?
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Karl,

Tropheus sp. red 'linangu' is probably what I would call it. Is found near Nkamba Bay. It is in the same area that 'chilanga', 'ilangi' are found. Which is a can of worms and linangu may be wrapped up in that too. I can't find a kala island, but I did find a reference to kala bay, which I assume is the Kala you are referring to.

I have not heard of this "starry nite" Tropheus?? So I am not sure what to say about that! I guess its cool if you like the spots, but haven't heard about any natural species that have this attribute.

Regarding the Bulu point and Siyeswe, I do believe that they are probably related, as most believe that they are "old" species, and occupied the center portion of the lake when it was low. As the water came back up, they evolved, while similar they are considered two different yet in the group described as Tropheus. Sp. black.

Hope you have sweet Tropheus dreams!!
Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com