New colony of Rainbow Tropheus...

Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

bkt

New colony of Rainbow Tropheus...

Post by bkt »

I recently purchased about 24 rainbow tropheus. I did the drip method to acclimate them to the new 55 gal tank water. I placed them in the tank within the bag to adjust the temp. I turned off the tank light and then released them after about 20 minutes of floating. I just wanted to make sure this sounded right...or if I should change it up in the future. I only have bristlenose Pl*cos in with these guys.
I'm always interested in the things I dont know...
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi bkt,

Congrats on getting some Rainbow Tropheus!! You will love them! But do me a favor, get that pleco out of there!! They are not good tankmates for Tropheus, and they are eating the foods your Tropheus should be eating! They are also big polluters, and one of the keys to Tropheus is good water conditions. Your tank might be on the small side, but I am thinking you are going to move them up to a larger tank as they grow.

When I add new fish to a tank, I just make sure the temperature is the same, and so I float them until I am sure. Then I just net them out of the bag and add them to the tank. I don't think it is a good idea to add any of the water from the bag to your tank. Hopefully that has all worked out okay for you.

Good Luck with your Tropheus, they are really a fun cichlid to work with!!
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com