4 month fry are moving weird...

Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

bkt

4 month fry are moving weird...

Post by bkt »

I moved 24 (2") red rainbow tropheus fry from my 55 gal tank to the 110 gal tank.

Temp 76-78 f
water ph is between 7.4 and 7.8 on the high range card
water ph is 7.6 or a little higher on regular ph card
no ammonia
nitrites are 0
nitrates are 0

The filtration consists of a trickle filter. with a sponge and a powerhead filter in the tank. There was a water change prior to entering the tropheus to the tank, 30 percent.
I have crushed coral for the substrate that was in there with my 50 zebra fry. (moved them out for tropheus). I also have three large piles of river rock for them to claim territory. A huge limestone holey rock in the middle of the tank and a few plants.

my concern is that they are swimming alot more then they had been doing in the 55. I see alot of them (5 or 6) bumping themselves against the river rock or the substrate. They keep swimming up and down in schools of 6 or 7.

This is the first day for them in the new tank...They ate spironlina earlier in the new tank. Some of them peck at the bottom as if looking for food. I don't see any white slimey defication strings from them.

I guess what my questions is, are they acting normal or showing signs of stress?

I thought that with the crushed coral and the large limestone rock that it would sufficient enough for a suitable ph?

thanks
-brian
I'm always interested in the things I dont know...
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi bkt,

I would suspect it is the move, and that once they get used to the new tank things should be fine. Everything sounds good except your pH. You really need to figure out how to get it into the 8's. It really makes for happier Tropheus. I am more apt not to feed them for a day or so after a move. If they are stressing, they don't need any food to upset their stomachs.

I love the red rainbows!
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com