What can I feed my 4 month old Tropheus Fry?

Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

bkt

What can I feed my 4 month old Tropheus Fry?

Post by bkt »

Me again, sorry for the numerous posts. :)

I'm currently feeding them spirolina flake and sometimes softened romaine lettuce (blanched).

I would like to wet their appetites and get them to look forward to eating different foods, but I'm concerned about upsetting their digestive system.

Can you suggest some good food for them? Something I can prepare and freeze here for them to eat at a later time.

Thanks for the patience...

-brian :D
I'm always interested in the things I dont know...
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Brian,

Relax, take a deep breath! Green flake is just perfect for juvenile Tropheus. A good growth of algae in your tank is better than anything you can throw in you tank. If you want to give them a treat of lettuce, that is fine, I like to feed them seaweed paper occasionally.

Paranoid Tropheus keepers are always looking for the perfect food. While they tell stories of bloat nitemares. While in reality their diet is so simple. In the wild they graze on the algae all day long. In our tanks we give them all they can eat in a few minutes, and then worry about them not getting enough to eat. We end up over feeding them, which is a main factor of bloat.

Grow your own spirulina algae in your tank. Add spirulina powder and leave the lights on, let a good green growth on the sides and back of your tank. It will give your Tropheus something to do, and help keep aggression down. Then feed them green flake once a day. Treats might be shrimp/peas homemade type mixture, and seaweed paper once a week.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com