recued trophs

Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

stormey

recued trophs

Post by stormey »

I recently rescued a unmarked on labeld box that had 13 bembas and 16 ilangi. All are fry and seem healthy. I currently have them in a 40 breeder with crushed coral substrate to aid in ph, gh and kh. I have soft nuetral water. I. Justcurious to what size tank I would need for these fish long term ill end up keeping one breed and sell the other as im already maintianing 9 other tanks. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Theres much praise about you fro anoter forum. Currently feeding them omega one cichic flakes.

Thanks for your time

Stormey.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: recued trophs

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Stormey,

That is quite the find! Yes they will do better in species only tanks, but as fry you should be able to keep them together until you decide which ones you want to keep. Then I suggest a minimum of 75 - 100 gallon tank would be best. That should give them enough room and allow them to spawn once in while and let the fry come up with the group.

As far as food goes, a good veggie flake is best, and then supplement with higher protein (shrimp or krill) flake or pellet about once a week as a treat.

The rest of being successful with Tropheus is to stay on top of your basics... frequent water changes, be careful NOT to overfeed and no tank mates, and you should be able to maintain them easily.

Enjoy!
Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com