Tropheus: New Tank Set-up

Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

kevink

Tropheus: New Tank Set-up

Post by kevink »

Pam, it was a pleasure reading about your interest in cichlids. I have been out of the "fish game" for years. I'm just getting back into it, with hopes of raising t. duboisi's again. Situation has changed since last time I had aquariums. New system so far; 120 tank (72"x18"w x 20" ht.) WELL WATER (softend) , aquaclear 500 filter and dolomite for gravel base. Need possible link to how to set up rest of tank and complimentary species (like pleco's, etc.) and what to use for: lighting, ph setting (used to be around 8.5 with city water and stress coat conditioner), water conditioner (if needed), plants/landscape and general info. I've been very successful in past breeding these plus peacocks. If you've posted anything similar, could you point me in the right direction? Any information would be appreciated, thanks! Kevin
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Kevin,

I certainly have a soft spot in my heart for Tropheus! The good news is that not a lot has changed in keeping this fun cichlid! If you keep ahead of your water changes, and provide the right foods, you are sure to have success.

I like to keep them around 76- 78 degrees F., and in a pH of 8.5 or higher. I think pH is more important than hardness, although usually with a higher pH the hardness usually takes care of itself. Your tank size is perfect and I recommend getting 24 of your favorite species, but only one species, you don't want to mix your Tropheus. No tank mates please, especially plecos which are going to be in competition for the very food you want your Tropheus to eat. If you think you need plecos to clean up extra foods, then you are feeding your Tropheus too much.

Lighting is personal preference, I usually only turn it on when its dark, although sometimes I will leave it on longer to encourage the algae to grow on the rocks and back of tank. My favorite light is ZooMed Florasun, it really brings out the best colors in my opinion. The new t-8 bulbs and electronic fixtures are wonderful these days!

If you want to do a true biotope type tank you want to provide some rocks but no plants, they will just dig them up and eat them. If you must have plants, plastic seem to work the best.

Here is the link for my latest article on Tropheus I hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you have any additional questions.

http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a210/default.php
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com