Tropheus feeding and ill doubt

Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

doc35

Tropheus feeding and ill doubt

Post by doc35 »

I have a colony of 6 Tropheus duboisi adults, and 15 young Tropheus black Kiriza, I had 20 about 2 months ago but I lost 5 bloat maybe but they have no bloat signs the just stopped eating and with no other sign got dead in about 3 or 4 days, I feed them with Sera Flora flakes and Granu-green (Sera too), 40% water changes every week in a 100 gal tank with 2 fluval filters working a 304 msf and a 404 msf, (2300 lts/hr) I had activated carbon but I removed, could it be a food prob. or you think is other problem?, and other question is if you Know about feeding Tropheus with Krill based food, I think is too much protein for them but somebody told me that this food was excellent!! I'm talking about Pablo's Teepot food NLSpectrum cichlid formula, too many doubts :?: :D
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hey Doc!

Well, first I do not think that it is good to mix two different species of Tropheus together. Especially an adult group, and then adding juveniles of a different species. Since Tropheus are very social, and develop a pecking order, it is usually the lowest on the list, that just can't handle the stress. I have had nothing but problems when mixing, and although some people swear it doesn't matter, it certainly seem to matter in my tanks. They are such worry warts, and will stress out over things that we don't even think should bother them. Bloat is merely a term, it doesn't mean that the fish is literally bloated. Tropheus not eating, with clamped fins, and not swimming are all symptoms that something is up. Temperature, pH, diet and water quality are all critical points. Check your pH makes sure it is over 8.5, and your temp is around 76 -78 degrees F. I have never heard of carbon being a problem, but then again, I have not used any filtraiton with carbon on my Tropheus.

I can not recommend NLS for Tropheus on a regular basis. I have had some people say that just a sprinkle once a week or every two weeks, will help condition them. It is a hard to argue this, since a variety of foods is always good for your cichlids, but this food is very rich, and so if you decide to feed it, I would suggest very sparingly and no more than once week. I have just killed to many Tropheus in my day, and have found that they do great on a green flake, and for treats I feed romain lettuce, or seaweed paper. Many swear by brine, or frozen mysis, but again, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Check out my latest article on Tropheus, and hopefully it will help you understand more about the dreaded bloat. It is really stress related, so even if you are able to cure the bloat, unless you have remove the factor of what was causing it, they will more than likely bloat again.

http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a210/default.php
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com