pale colors and bloat

Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

kev1n

pale colors and bloat

Post by kev1n »

hi pam,

i just purchased 6 tropheous duboisi and then another 6 of the same kind 2 days later. they are young, about 3/4 of an inch in a 60 gallon tank with 2 200 (30-50 gal per hr) aquaclear filters. i've had them for about 4 days now but i guess im anxious to know if my fish already have bloat. They all swim and eat (spiraulina only) just fine, but i guess im concerned about their appearance.

i have about 3-5 with discoloration, like pale in the midbody section, and some with that pretty jet black with polka dot color but with a brighter white on the stomach. im also concerned about several with pretty big stomachs, although they look like their behaving and eating naturally. i also notice that all are extcreting pretty normally (alot and brownish) except one with a stringy white.

Is is possible the ones that are not so healthy right now will get better without medication or added attention or should i consider buying a new tank to take care of them. i kinda need an economical solution if that is the case.

also, should i be concerned about appearance, i've seen tropheous of all ages but i never understood why they all don't retain their jet black and polka dot colors as a unit, even before they mature. i know when they get older they will have a blue head and yellow band, but even a group of those as i have seen can still have some pale ones in the community.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Kev,

Don't panic! If they are swimming and eating, that is good sign. They are just getting used to your new tank, they may be a little stressed from the move. I don't know how much you are feeding them, but if they look chubby, back off the food a little bit. If you have any rocks in other tanks that have some algae on them, consider moving the in the tank, so they can graze on it. Get some algae growing in your tank, leave the light on all the time to get it going.

I hate to medicate, but a good Tropheus keeper needs to be prepared, so make sure you have some clout, or what ever you think your cure for bloat is, because it always shows up at a bad time. I would not treat yours yet, but I would do a water change, at least 25%. There is nothing like fresh water for your Tropheus.

Regarding the color, it is really a reflection of several things. One is them trying to blend in with your substrate, second is diet, third is your light fixture. It also is a reflection of their mood, and since they are a group in the making, they will have different coloration. They don't always look a like, and when they are transferring from fry coloration to adult coloration you will see all sorts of different patterns.

Make sure your water conditions are right, that you have the pH high, your temp around 76 -78 F.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com