question about lighting and habitat

Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

kev1n

question about lighting and habitat

Post by kev1n »

hello again,

thanks for the quick reply, i feel a whole lot better now. i have a couple more questions though. i've read somewhere before that the light should be left on all the time to encourage algae growth, but i got this paranoia for animals as well as plants that there should be a dark period (sleepy time/p.m.).

I do have a 20W 24" marine-glow (neon blue) light that i rarely turn on because of this fear. i turn it on just when i want to see the tank. i do have a day timer though so is there a recommended amount of day and night for tropheus?

My other question are the rocks i purchased which i assumed would be perfect for tropheus. After close observation they look like former marine rocks with different kinds of algae on it (green, yellow, orange and red spots on the rocks). i scrubbed and washed them really well before placing them in the tank and i wonder if keeping all these rocks in a single, long formation from one end of the tank to the other is a good idea. it looks really cool right now, but i read that as they mature, a single male can claim the whole rock formation. if i leave enough caves or if i start stacking more rocks vertically will that solve that problem?
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Kev,

Sometimes you have to decide which is more important for your tank. A nice growth of green algae is more important to me than leaving the lights on for 24 hours. Once I have a good growth going, I would then go back to my normal routine, which is only turning the lights on in the evening, and going off by midnight. Or perhaps to keep the algae up I might turn it on earlier in the day. But, honestly I don't obsess to much about lighting hours in my aquariums. Sure I have heard all the myths and theories about lighting, but I don't really pay much attention to them. I think the night light sounds cool, you should try it.

The rock placement is another debate! I don't think this is an issue either, it is more important to make sure your water is clean. I like to have the rocks all across the tank, I think it looks more natural. Males will claim caves, but they aren't going to be able to defend the entire pile of rocks. This also gives subdominate males a chance for a territory, and so they are able to breed more often then when you have "rocks only on the ends" theory. Either way works!

You might want to read my latest article on Tropheus, I think it will help you relax and enjoy your Tropheus!!

http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a210/default.php
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com