Post by Pam Chin »

Dear Pam,

Is it okay to feed Live Brine to Mbuna or Tropheus?? How about frozen?? Thanks,

Caroline
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Dear Caroline,

I only feed freshly hatched baby brine to Mbuna and Tropheus fry, and then only until they are about 1" (2.5 cm.) in length. I never, ever, feed adult live Brine, or frozen Brine to adults or fry.

Mbuna and Tropheus are primarily vegetarians. Although a varied diet is always preached as good, I don't think so in these two types of fish. I have had much better luck feeding only a green flake. Fresh adult brine is expensive, and the quality varies so much that I don't feel like it is worth the risk. Why go to all that trouble, when you can maintain, and breed these fish on a good green flake. You don't know how old that frozen brine is when you buy it, or how many times it has been allowed to thaw out and be re-frozen.

It only takes one bad batch of fresh or frozen brine to kill off an entire tank. Sure the fish love it, but it is not good for them. The risk of bloat it too great in my opinion. I and others have been more successful feeding a good green flake. Take it from someone who has killed her share of Tropheus!! Green Flake is the only way to go.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com