Do I have enough

Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

adtravels

Do I have enough

Post by adtravels »

Hi I am an english school teacher oin thailand and have kept fish for many years I have set up a 300 litre (48x50x50) tank to house twelve juvenile Tropheus sp black Kiriza. The fish are in happy and eating like little pigs, but should I have more? or is that enough (I could purchase about 6 more)
Should I have any other species in there eg julidochromis regani and how long will it tke them to become sexually mature?

I have a really great dealer who has more african ciclids than I have ever seen in the UK
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Adtravels,

If it was me, I would go for six more of the Tropheus. The larger the group the better they do, and 12 is really marginal. I really believe that species only tanks are the only way to go, so no tankmates. They seem to do best with just their own kind.

The become sexually mature at about 12 - 18 months, some think the males are ahead of the females, so it may take a bit longer. There is nothing more rewarding than just watching your group grow up, and observing the pecking order and breeding behavior. Tropheus are just too much fun!!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com