Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Tropheus duboisi

Post by Pam Chin »

<div align="center">Image</div>

Dear Pam,

To my amazement I discovered 2 Tropheus duboisi fry in my tank. I've been trying to get a breeding pair for 18 months. I have some questions about T. duboisi.

I tried feeding them blood worms only occasionally and it caused long, clear turds. Though they relished the blood worms, I'm frighten to feed them to them. In fact I feed them one brand of floating type food which is primarily wheat germ and spirulina. The fish look generally good but except for the absolutely magnificent male duboisi, they don't have that thick look and I just don't think their fins are as well conditioned as they should be. Any ideas here.

The 125 gal tank has 120 watts full spectrum and is packed with algae, the fry seem to be growing but ideas on the next batch. By the why I only got 3 fry as far as I could tell, can I expect larger batches? Other ideas?

Thanks, Vince.
Last edited by Pam Chin on Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Dear Vince,

How many Tropheus duboisi do you have? They are very cool fish, and one of my favorites. I have found Tropheus much easier to breed in large groups, than one on one.

Tropheus are lunch buckets, they well eat most anything offered, including Blood worms, but believe me they are death to your Tropheus. They can't take the protein. And as you have seen, it plays havoc with the digestive process. When you say you think you fish look thin? Do they look sucked in?? Or just a bit thin? Actually thin is better in my opinion, but if they are sucked in, it could be reverse bloat. Since they are mouth brooders, the spawns are not too big, older more mature females may hold more. My spawns average between 6 - 10, I have had a few larger but not on a consistence basis. One reason the fins may not look to good, is because they are chasing each other? Have you noticed any of that?

I have my groups in large tanks, and I just let them hold to term and spit in the rock rubble, I have tried isolating holding females, but is harder on them to go through the catching process than to just let them spit in the tank. I clear out the rocks and rubble to gather the fry about every 6 weeks or so. I have only one species of Tropheus per tank. They do not eat the fry, who happily graze on the algae, until I remove them. I feed only Spirulina flake.

In addition to a vegetarian diet the other key to great Tropheus is water changes. They will NOT tolerate any ammonia. Don't even say the "A" word out loud. Consistent, massive, frequent, and often is how they like their water changes. You can tell how much they enjoy the fresh water, my fish always perk up and usually spawn afterwards.

Beware, Tropheus are addicting!! And they can be difficult at times, take it from someone who has certainly killed her share!!
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com