Perfect Tank Desighn for a perfect group?

Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

James Shingler

Perfect Tank Desighn for a perfect group?

Post by James Shingler »

What tank size and number of Tropheus would you say was ideal? Does this varie between types? Would you mix duboisi and say "Kasanga" (Red Rainbow) ? How many rocks and what size would you recommend. I have read so much conflicting advice. 250 litres hear, 750 litres there. Yes mix, no mix. Up to 40 fish in 250 litres down to 12 in 750. Just a few big rocks, lots of small rocks in towers, rocks piled up to the waterline at the back even no rocks piled up at all. The contradictions go on and on. I have kept Tropheus for some time (and using a number of different methods) so can guess some answers but for the well intentioned beginners trying to do the best for thier fish (as oposed to the minimum to get them to survive for a while) it must be bewildering. Do you think a consensus will ever be reached?
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi James,

It is one of the unique things about fish keeping, there is no perfect way. People have been sucessful using different methods. What you can do and what is sounds like you have already done is think about these different ideas, and then apply what works for you.

I think a 100 gallon tank is perfect, with 24 unsexed individuals. I don't like to ever mix my Tropheus, they are all too closely related, and they will cross. Keeping two different groups in one tank can defeat your purpose of trying to get them to crank out the fry. They expend all their energy on each other, and usually one group become dominate over the other group. The males are so tired from protecting their areas, that they don't have the energy to spawn.

To read more about my ideas and Tropheus you can read this article:

http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=210

This is a great group of cichlids to work with, I think they are so much fun.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com