Follow up on Chitande Peacock ID

Identifying your cichlid

Moderator: Pam Chin

Rift485

Follow up on Chitande Peacock ID

Post by Rift485 »

Sorry Pam I originally posted this a long time ago and completely forgot! I have yet to figure out the ID but wanted to give you the little additional information I have. Again this is the fish:

The shot was taken by someone at African Trading. I'm not sure if you are familiar with them but they were a group of collectors lake-side on Malawi some time in the 80's and/or 90's. Apparently they have since disbanded and I have never been able to get in contact with anyone who used to be associated with the group. This is why I only have this one photo. To me it looks like a 'Chitande' type because of its short snout and the black band in the dorsal fin. Beyond that, I've never been able to find anyone who could even offer an opinion on the ID of the fish.

Thought maybe Id get lucky now, almost 2 years after my original post! Thanks Pam and happy holidays!
Ryan
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Follow up on Chitande Peacock ID

Post by Pam Chin »

HI Ryan,

Wow I applaud your dedication of still searching for 2 years! But it is like searching for a needle in a hay stack. I can not explain in words how big this Lake is. Often actual collection sites are never revealed.

You know you have a white dorsal, and only a few Chitande types also sport that; A. sp. chitande type mozambique, A. sp. chitande type masinje and A. sp. chitande type nkhomo. You can compare head shapes, and body, but it is tough with a fish in a the hand!

All the chitande types are fun to work with, they over looked because they are not as flashy as some of the stuartgranti's. I think they are beautiful and love the huge egg spots.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com