ID please

Identifying your cichlid

Moderator: Pam Chin

Zeusterae

ID please

Post by Zeusterae »

Hi Pam, this is my first enquire here... my name is Miguel Jo-Avila, I am from Chile, but currently I live in Auckland New Zealand...

Well, I bring you some problems to identify hahaha!!! This fish was imported from Malasya as Golden johanni... in my experience is quite common that this name is given to the Ps interruptus because of their colour when young and the colour more yellow ish of the female in comparison with female johanni.... the thing is that the colour has changed a lot since I bought it, but not following the patterns neither of the Johanni or interruptus, then I am really confused right now... the I would like to know what do you think about it and what could it be... the male is 6-7 cm long now and the female a bit smaller.

Here you have some pics.

Male when I bought it

Male now

The female

and the fry

Thanks in advanced for any help on this!!!

Cheers,
Miguel
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: ID please

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Zeusterae,

You can't go by a common name, or a name that a supplier has tagged on to a fish. While the females look like regular Pseudotropheus johanni, (They have just moved Melanochromis johanni to Pseudotropheus johanni). I cannot tell you what the male is? It doesn't look like Pseudotropheus johanni at all?? And since its orign is from Maylasia, asia, etc, it is impossible to know what you may have?

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com