Miscellaneous
questions

Moderator: Pam Chin

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Albino cichlids

Post by Pam Chin »

Dear Pam

Please explain why people like albino fish. I think they are freaks and UGLY to boot. I would cull any fry that came out with pink eyes. Why is there such a following for albinos? Respectable fish people hold bloody parrots, painted glassfish, and dyed fish in disdain, but then they like albinos. Not that I have a strong opinion or anything. What is your opinion?

John
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Dear John,

I have no idea why some people go crazy over albino's. I am with you, I have never been a big fan of albino's, even though I have had a few over the years. I would say most like them because, they are unusual, different, and rare. Many think they are beautiful, it boils down to personal taste! They are acceptable in the hobby, because albino's actually occur in nature. Where the parrot cichlid, painted glassfish, etc., are man made. Many of these albino species were first spawned by hobbyists, where the albino fry received special treatment in somewhat controlled conditions. The albino species are more delicate and weaker, so in a natural environment they are not as likely to survive.

When you have a few albinos in a spawn, the other fish that have the normal color are called albino siblings, because they carry the albino gene. Many hobbyists then continue to selectively breed these fish until they keep getting a higher percentage of albino fry. The fish farms of Florida and Singapore have mastered this to a tee, and this is why most common fish can be found in an albino variety.

As long as there is a demand, they will continue to be around.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com