Miscellaneous
questions

Moderator: Pam Chin

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Hormoned fish: Case 1

Post by Pam Chin »

Dear Pam,

Why are some fish so brightly colored until they get home? I suspect hormones. This is only one particular breeder. I have been told that these fish would be sterile because of the hormone diet. Thanks,

Bill
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Dear Bill,

If you see fish that have incredible color, buy them, and after a few weeks, the color fades, then I too would suspect that they were treated with hormones. It could have been added to their food, or added to their water. It is very frustrating, not only is it disappointing to have your fish fade out, but there is the possibility that they could be sterile. It depends on how long they were treated, and how much they were exposed to.

Why do wholesalers or stores do this?? To sell fish. This is why as a hobbyists you need to know a few things about the species before you buy it. For example, many of the Aulonocara, Protomelas, Copadichromis, or anything that was formerly Haplochromis, are just silver fish until they are sexually mature. These types of fish don't have any color at 1 or 2 inches. Discus are another example, if they have color when they are silver dollar size or under, this is not natural.

It is important to buy your fish from a reliable source. Whether you are buying out of the Trading Post, or at the auction, ask around about the seller. The "Cichlid Network" is not that large, if someone is not keeping their word, or selling inferior species, it doesn't take long before everyone figures it out.

Bottom line, read up on what you are buying, and or ask around.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com