cichlid species for a pet?

Miscellaneous
questions

Moderator: Pam Chin

FishAreFun

cichlid species for a pet?

Post by FishAreFun »

Hello,
I'm looking for a "pet" cichlid. I have a 75 gallon tank. I am moderately experienced with fish (2+ decades of success) and have kept mbuna in the past. I am looking for a "pet" cichlid. I would like a fish that is bold and active, that is, one that swims around at least a moderate amount of time, rather than hiding. (I had a 4" Jack Dempsey once. He hid a lot, but I only had him about 2 months -- then I moved and found him a new home. Do you think he would have become more active given more time?) Size should be appropriate for my tank -- starting at about the size of a jewel cichlid and going on up. I once saw a Jaguar Cichlid (a female in a tank MUCH too small for her) that was very aggressive to passers-by (I was told it was female; there were no eggs or fry present). She thrashed and bit at the front glass and splashed water out. I would love a fish with that attitude -- but would never try to cause such a reaction by putting the fish in a very small tank. (I tried to buy the Jaguar Cichlid, but was told that she was already sold.) Is this typical for Jaguar Cichlids? -- What I have read about them would indicate that it is not, but I have no other experience with them. Would her extra small tank have caused her behavior? Anyway, I do like such a bold attitude. As for as other fish in the tank, whether cichlid or not, I would put others in IF it is appropriate. I am not seeking to have a fish battleground in my tank -- though aggression directed at people passing by is one thing, I don't want war in the tank. If the "pet" is too aggressive toward other fish, he will live alone. I do prefer a fish with some color, either blues/greens or reds. Lots of color is a big plus, but lots of personality/attitude with some color is most important. It doesn't have to be "fancy" -- if you tell me the "common" Firemouth is ideal for what I am seeking, I would be content. I also love fish that dig in the gravel, especially if they spend a considerable amount of time doing it. Any suggestions? Thank you so much.

Steff
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: cichlid species for a pet?

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Steph,

A 75 gallon tank, with proper filtration, and a few rocks, would be absolutely great for this type of set up. There is really something to be said about keeping one cichlid in one tank. While some may think that it is not in their best interest, I totally disagree. I have a 18" dovvi that I have kept for many years as a solitary fish, and he loves it!! He is a total ham, he has toys, and knows me, the dogs, and other vistors. He loves some people and he ignores others.

I would suggest some of the medium to large Central American cichlids as candidates. Jags or Dovii will probably get too large, but there are many other choices. Central American cichlids have so much personality, and many have great colors. So do some research on all the possible candidates, and then we can discuss them if you would like. There are quite a few so it is going to be easier if you eliminate them down to 3 or 4 possibilities. Start with looking at the genus Vieja and Parachromis.

One note that I think is really important is to NOT feed live foods, this really makes them more aggressive, and you don't want your fish trying to fly out of the tank every time you open the lid. And you don't want them to take hunk out of your arm when you are trying to clean their tank. They will do fine if trained to eat a cichlid staple pellet, and then you can give them treats; like people shrimp, crickets, freeze dried krill, even fresh/frozen salmon, that is something they will all like. Not to mention the risk of feeding your pet diseased ridden feeders, they just don't need it, and you don't want lose your fish due to this reason, when there are plenty of good foods available.

I think it is like having a dog in a tank, it is just too much fun!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com