Visiting Lake Malawi

Miscellaneous
questions

Moderator: Pam Chin

mfclayville

Visiting Lake Malawi

Post by mfclayville »

Pam,

I understand you have been to Lake Malawi. Is that correct? My wife and I would like to plan a trip there next year and I was hoping for some advice as to where to go, suggestions on where to stay, travel tips, etc.

Our purpose is to scuba dive the lake and see cichlids in their natural environs.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

-- Michael
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Visiting Lake Malawi

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Michael,

Yes I have been to Malawi a few times, it is really a beautiful lake. However, I think it is very important to go with someone who knows their way around Africa and someone who knows where to go in Malawi. Its easy to get into a scary situation, delays are common and you can get stuck on a border. I would highly recommend going on a trip with other cichlid hobbyists. Where a seasoned member of the group will hopefully keep you out of trouble. When you go with a group like this you will be told what to look for when you dive and someone will be able to help you figure out what you saw that you couldn't ID. Sometimes you camp along the shore, and other times you will stay in road houses (like hotels).

I am not sure if you have a particular place you want to go on the Lake, or if there are certain fish you want to see. Its nearly 400 miles long so there are a lot of places to go, some have facilities that may help you, some may not. You are not allowed to take fish out of the country but on a hobbyists expedition you usually have an option to have fish ship later thru a transhipper/importer.

If this sounds like something you are interested in, send me a Private Message for a contact.

Here are some Malawi Shots : http://gallery.me.com/pamchin#100020&bg ... &view=grid

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com