Cichlids and breeding

Miscellaneous
questions

Moderator: Pam Chin

Glen

Cichlids and breeding

Post by Glen »

Hi Pam,

I need to know about cichlid eggs. I have an Acei and a Jewel, both adult about 1 year old. I recently was adding some cover to the tank and found masses of very small orange eggs in a slimy mass, but not all in one area, they are dispersed throughout the tank in the gravel. I am not sure if they are from the fish as I also had about 8 small shrimp in the tank as a treat for them. I know this may sound ridiculous, but I really am not sure if this from the fish or not. If it is, is the slime normal or is this fungus that needs to be removed?
Thanks,
Glen
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Cichlids and breeding

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Glen,

The jewel fish is a substrate spawner and lays adhesive eggs. They usually deposit them on a flat rock, or inverted flower pot or taller rocks, even the glass. They would be all together on the substrate or rock numbering 100-200. Acei is a maternal mouthbrooder, they lay they eggs and then pick them up and hatch them out in their mouth, the spawns are much smaller and the eggs are larger, maybe 12 - 15 eggs.

So I am not sure what you have there, but I don't think it was caused from the cichlids, the shrimp maybe the issue? At any rate, you probably want to do a major water change and make sure you get all of that out of your tank, it is likely to muck up your water conditions. Then keep an eye on it!

I will mention that ome species of fish are egg scatterers, many catfish for example, so I am not sure if you have any? But they "scatter" their eggs around the tank, and they don't provide any parental care.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com