Inexpensive Substrate

Miscellaneous
questions

Moderator: Pam Chin

junquenito

Inexpensive Substrate

Post by junquenito »

I've been keeping S. American Cichlid's for a long time (20+ years I guess) but only the 6-8" and larger species. Recently I have decided to try dwarfs and have a 20g to play with. I'm thinking I'd like to try using sand as a substrate since I've always used gravel.

The question I have is where can I find a cheap source of a 'safe' sand (one that won't affect the pH etc...). I've been researching possible options I could buy from Home Depot but haven't yet found anyone saying they've used something specifically sold here in the So. Bay. The prices for sand at the LFS are just too high (esp since if I like the look I'd like to try it out in my 100g as well).

Any tips?
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi junquenito,

I have known many hobbyists that have used the play sand at Home Depot and they have not had any problems at all. You do have to rinse it well, to get all the dust out of it. Buying a substrate at the landscape store, is usually much cheaper than the aquarium store. I have bought gravel for many years at such stores and never had any problems.

The secret to sand is to just have a sprinkling so to speak, you probably don't want it any deeper than 1". One of the draw backs to deeper sand is the possibilty of bad bacteria building up if the sand is not moved, ie: turned over by the fish, or stirred up by you when you do a cleaning.

Just remember to always wash any substrate well before adding to your tank.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com