Jonathan Cobb 1955 - 2004

Miscellaneous
questions

Moderator: Pam Chin

pchas

Jonathan Cobb 1955 - 2004

Post by pchas »

PCCA member Jonathan Cobb passed away in November 2004. He was 49. In addition to being a member of PCCA, he was a past president and long time board member of the SFAS.

I posted this at the SFAS-related email list "Detritus" in a slightly different format.
Jonathan Cobb was the first SFAS member I got to know when I joined the club. Whether he was serving refreshments at hospitality, auctioning a bag of black veil tail angels (his favorites) judging the bowl show, or setting up the stands for the Annual Show in Tanforan, you could count on Jonathan to pitch in.

I don't think Jonathan--JP to his friends--was ever happier than when he was banging out Christmas carols on that old piano at the Morrison Auditorium. He loved entertaining the junior members backstage during the program, JP was just a big kid at heart. Jonathan gave generously of his time, and he was richly rewarded by the sense of community at SFAS events. The SFAS was more than a club to Jonathan, it was family.

And like most families, we have our spats. Jonathan could be prickly, irascible and stubborn, but he was our JP and we loved him just the way he was.

Outside the aquarium hobby, Jonathan was a skilled and knowledgeable collector of antiquities--from Shang dynasty vases, to pre-Columbian Aztec figures, to Persian rugs, to carved 15th Century Italian Renaissance angels. He loved gardens and gardening, music and food, wrestling and rowing, just a few of the many eclectic interests that made him the fascinating person he was. I am proud to have known him as a friend.

So, the next time you bid on a bag of black veil tail angels, pay a visit to the Asian Art museum, or sing a Christmas carol remember JP.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Patrick,

Thank you so much for letting us know about Jonathan. I haven't seen him for a few years, but always remember him as a hard worker and pitching in. He always brought refreshments for the club, and you could always count on him to be a runner at any auction.

He will be missed, and I send my sympathy to his family.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com