Trivial questions

Miscellaneous
questions

Moderator: Pam Chin

RC

Trivial questions

Post by RC »

Hi. I note in your interview that you say that you enjoy answering questions about Cichlids.

I'd therefore like to ask some less meaningful and less pressing questions than are typically asked. Please advise if these questions are too trivial.

First, which cichlid would you say in your opinion is the closest to a "typical" or "the average" cichlid? I.e. if you had to choose one species to represent all of cichlidae, which one would it be?

And secondly in your opinion, which is the least cichlid-like cichlid there is? Is there any cichlid so unlike typical cichlids that without being told, you'd never have guessed that it was a cichlid?

Thanks,

Ross-c
Life would be perfect if it weren't for this one little glitch....
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Ross,

I appreciate all cichlid questions, and there are not any that are too trival. You have asked vallid questions! However there is probably more than one answer. I would be giving you the hobbyist point of view, while someone who describes fish for a living, or a taxonomy expert, would probably come up with something different. These really are tough questions and Gary and I got in a pretty good debate over these two topics.

To me this question was the easy one.... the most cichlid like cichlid would have be the Archocentrus nigrofasciatus, the convict.

As far as the most unlikely cichlid, I am really stumped.... I can't think of one that is so far removed you would not think is was cichlid. When you look at what classifies a cichlid, it is impossible to find one that doesn't fit into one of the categories.... perch like egg layer, with a broken lateral line.... Do you have any ideas???

Thanks for the mind bender!
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com