New tank need help

Q&A About Central American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

Hudson Ensz

New tank need help

Post by Hudson Ensz »

I have got some mixed replies on different forums but maybe you can clear it up. I am getting a new tank (45" long) i know its not a mega tank but i am very excited about it. i will put my Crenicichla regani in it and will use it as a grow out for some other fish who will eventually go into the pond What prefurably carnivorous and aggressive fish could go whith him i really want an EBJD but it is C/A :( i might get one anyway though 8) but i want too have more then two fish in there :? any ideas on small aggressive and carnivorous cichlids? thanks a lot.
Ps. i will have enough filtration for a 200 gallon tank.
Pss. i want to have interesting dithers.
Psss the tank will have beach sand.
bye and thanx for looking!!!
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: New tank need help

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Hudson,

I am really better at telling you about a certain cichlid, whether it would fit with your choices or not. I am not very good at telling you what you should keep. It is really going to depend on the size of this tank, I know you said it was 47", but I would need you to calc out the exact gallons. There are tons of options for cichlids or even non cichlids that are found in South America.

I don't like to mix fish from two different areas, like South America and Central America. They often have different diet and water requirements. And while a EBJD might be okay in your tank for a little while, it is not going to be a good idea for very long. As the EBJD is going to be able to eat the C. regani in a short amount of time.

Do your research, where is c. regani found, and what else comes from that area, that would look neat in your tank!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com